Brian Jay Stanley
Brian Jay Stanley
Asheville, North Carolinawww.brianjaystanley.com/LIS/resume/
Software developer and writer
- Director of DevelopmentBuildFaxAsheville, NCNovember 2011 - present
- Developed scalable, cloud-based web applications using Python, Django, MySQL, and Memcached.
- Wrote technical specifications.
- Created RESTful web service.
- Wrote clean, commented, object-oriented code following best practices.
- Designed database schemas, object models, and XML schemas.
- Implemented enterprise search using Solr/Lucene.
- Designed efficient algorithms for processing massive data sets.
- Trained and supervised other developers.
- Wrote API documentation.
- Wrote automated test suites.
- Configured Linux and Apache and managed Amazon EC2 servers in the cloud using RightScale.
- Accurately estimated project timelines and met deadlines.
- Senior DeveloperBuildFaxAsheville, NCOctober 2010 - November 2011
- DeveloperBuildFaxAsheville, NCOctober 2009 - October 2010
- DeveloperdataBridgeAsheville, NCJune 2009 - September 2009
- Developed corporate intranets and extranets.
- Created custom console applications in Visual C#.
- Wrote SQL queries, views, and stored procedures in SQL Server.
- Designed reports with SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Installed and configured virtual development environments running Windows Server.
- Performed server administration tasks.
- Developed databases in Microsoft Access.
- Interfaced with clients to gather requirements.
- Conference Database Developer and Electronic Journal PublisherACA-UNCA Partnership for Undergraduate Research, University of
North Carolina at AshevilleAsheville, NCApril 2009 - October 2009
- Developed MySQL database for managing conference registration, article submissions, and review process.
- Developed website and web-based forms using Joomla!.
- Wrote PHP scripts for performing administrative tasks.
- Developed electronic journal publishing system using MySQL › PHP › XML › XSLT pipeline.
- Provided expertise on best practices for information management.
- Wrote technical manual.
- Web and Database DeveloperRamsey Library Special Collections, University of North Carolina at
AshevilleAsheville, NCFebruary 2008 - April 2009
- Developed master collection database in Microsoft Access.
- Wrote validation scripts in Visual Basic to improve integrity and efficiency of data entry.
- Created XSLT stylesheets to generate web pages from XML files and crosswalk data into library catalog.
- Wrote Python programs for processing XML and HTML files.
- Modified metadata schemas, administered controlled vocabularies, and created and managed metadata for digital collections in a variety of formats.
- Designed website for large manuscript collection.
- Developed comprehensive workflows and best practices for creating digital collections.
- Trained staff in data entry, naming conventions, and web content creation.
- Wrote online documentation.
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Champaign IL||M.S. Library and Information Science (digital libraries concentration)||2009||GPA: 4.0|
|Duke University Durham NC||M.T.S. Master of Theological Studies||2003||GPA: 3.95 summa cum laude|
|University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Chapel Hill NC||B.A. Religious Studies||2001||GPA: 3.99 highest distinction, highest honors|
- Programming languages:
- regular expressions,
- Visual Basic
- Relational databases:
- SQL Server,
- Microsoft Access
- XML standards:
- XML Schema
- Web standards:
- Metadata/cataloging standards:
- Dublin Core,
- Programming languages:
- Visual Studio,
- Oxygen XML Editor,
- Frameworks/Content Management Systems:
- Movable Type
- Server Administration:
- Linux (Ubuntu),
- Apache 2,
- Windows Server/IIS
- Cloud Computing:
- Amazon EC2,
- Amazon S3,
- Graphics editors:
- Adobe Photoshop
- "Odyssey of Desire", Pleiades, 2013, vol. 33.1, p.23-39
- "A Sense of All Sorrows", Pleiades, 2012, vol. 32.2, p.64-70
- "The Communion of Strangers", The Sun, 2012, vol. 436, p.13-15
- "Meditation During a Rainstorm", Connecticut Review, 2010, vol. 32.2, p.129-135
- "A Visit to the City", The Redwood Coast Review, 2010, vol. 12.2, p.10
- "Confessions of a Carnivore", North American Review, 2009, vol. 294.5, p.37-39
- "In Praise of Passion", The Dalhousie Review, 2009, vol. 89.3, p.369-379
- "On Being Nothing", The Antioch Review, 2009, vol. 67.2, p.340-348
- "Night Thoughts", The Tusculum Review, 2008, vol. 4, p.94-98
- "The Electric Present", Rock & Sling, 2007, vol. 4.2, p.14-18
- "The Lonely Race", The Laurel Review, 2007, vol. 41.2, p.91-94
- "The Finite Experience of Infinite Life", The Hudson Review, 2005, vol. 58.1, p.19-28
- "On Being Nothing", The New York Times, 2012, opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/on-being-nothing/
- "Confessions of a Carnivore", America Now: Short Readings From Recent Periodicals, edited by Robert Atwan, Ninth Edition, Bedford/St. Martin's, 2011
- The Best American Essays 2011, Notable Essays of 2010, "Meditation During a Rainstorm", 2011
- The Best American Essays 2010, Notable Essays of 2009, "On Being Nothing", 2010
- The Best American Essays 2006, Notable Essays of 2005, "The Finite Experience of Infinite Life", 2006